- March 31, 2015
- tags: photoshoot
You’ll have to excuse me, I’ve been over here petting the pretties.
The photo shoot is Tuesday (a week from today). I’m making lists (one of which includes a bottle of champagne, I swear it’s a prop) and plans and possibly even schemes. Remind me that a week from tomorrow it will be over, and I’ll have survived another one, and all will be well. And then make me stop petting the projects and actually do some work.
- March 26, 2015
I have one more thing to take care of before the photo shoot. Well no, that’s a horrid lie. I have a lot of things to do before the photo shoot, but only one more thing that involves actually fiddling with knitting. I have to decide upon and attach a button. This lovely blue bit of business here needs a button, so of course I went on a button hunting expedition.
I found two suitable candidates. The top one (glass) is pretty much a spot on perfect match for the yarn. Like so close I would not have believed it possible. The bottom one (shell) offers a bit more contrast. Now, if all of you could please decide which one I should use and let me know in the comments, that would be great. I find myself gripped by a most uncharacteristic indecision.
- March 24, 2015
- tags: gray
Back in December I showed you the first batch of yarns for the next Curls book. The second batch has since come to fill my mailbox with happiness, so I thought it only fitting to show it off too!
Those two together are pretty much all of them. There is one more I couldn’t resist, so it’s on its way still. But then I promise I’ll be good and stop adding more projects every time I see a pretty gray yarn. Probably. I do have a certain weakness you know…
When last we left the pillow, it was in a rather precarious state, feathers open to the world, at the mercy of any of the Kitten Overlords. I want this pillow to be an elongated tetrahedron (think a 4 sided die, stretched). So basically I needed to close the open side up perpendicular to the original seam.
It quickly became apparent that this would be an iterative process. First stanch the bleeding by whatever means necessary (the feathers wanted to escape everywhere). In this case, binder clips.
The next step was to get a seam – any seam – in there just to hold the explosion at bay. Tidy was not the goal, keeping the feathers in was the goal. Then I shook the feathers down as much as possible, folded my messy seam over into a slightly tidier bundle, and stitched it down again. It looks like 8 shades of hell, but it will be forever trapped inside a pillow and never seen by anyone but me (and, well, I guess now also you, but you won’t tell). I decided functional and finished was more important than perfect and never ever ever done.
I had wanted the light part to be about half as long as the dark part. If I keep going in the light, they’ll be close to the same size, and that won’t be what I was going for. So I’m going to throw in one skinny dark stripe, then knit the rest of the length I need with the lightest shade. I’m particular about stripes, but I think this will end up being just perfect.
- March 19, 2015
Back in December I explained that the the marvelous purse I treated myself to at Rhinebeck had fallen prey to an evil swarm of hideous pills. I was considering several de-fuzzing options and wanted you guys to weigh in on the choices out there. I eventually went with the gleener.
It came, it defuzzed, all was well. The purse was saved — for about a two months. Then the fuzzies came back. I think it’s just a problem with the material the purse is made out of. It appears to need a brisk combing every two months to stay looking good. That’s disappointing, but the bag is so ridiculously cute I’ll deal.
Meanwhile, the gleener has proved awfully handy to have around the house. I was feeling the need to do something nominally productive but not terribly challenging (and putting away laundry was just not going to happen), so I decided to tackle a rather fuzzy wool blanket. That seemed like it called for the coarsest head (it comes with three in various levels of roughness for different fabrics). About three swipes into the process, the head sort of came apart. There was much swearing.
I got in touch with Gleener, and they were awesome. They agreed it really shouldn’t do that and sent a replacement head out right away. The replacement came a few days later, it’s working great, and I expect the blanket will soon be free of wayward fluffy bits.
So, the verdict is a strong thumbs up for the Gleener. It works, and the company was super helpful when I had a problem. The purse is a bit more problematic. It seems to require ongoing care, which is a pain, but it’s so pretty it may just be worth the special treatment.
Now, someone reassure me I’m not the only one to find the giant pile of fluff ripped off the purse oddly satisfying. Because holy wow am I unreasonably amused by that.